Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Meet the Author

I am going to have to ask all of you to be patient with me.

I am writing as one who is walking a spiritual journey.

I fall off the path everyday and struggle with the temptations that life tosses along the way. Once in a great while I have a small success, but more often than not, my life is quite imperfect.


I write as a traveler, not as an authority.

I write to make sense of this life.

I write because I can not ask these question from the leaders of my Catholic Church.


There is a Lauren Hill song that states: "You have to ask the questions to find the answers."
I don't know if any answers will be found in this endeavor, but I will ask many questions.
I am hoping for peace of mind.
I am hoping to meet the man named Jesus Christ of Nazareth. Son of Joseph and Mary, the son of God.
I know Jesus is not lost. I think He is often ignored, but definitely not lost.
I think WE get lost all the time because of all the noise in this world. And there are so many distractions in this life that we often ignore Jesus.
Quite simply, I want to know Jesus without having someone dictate to me how this most personal spiritual relationship should come about.
I have tried for over forty years to listen to the self-proclaimed experts, and they have succeeded in creating confusion for me... not clarity of mind.
I will offer a lot of opinons here.
They are my opinions unless otherwise stated.
That does not mean you have to agree with me.
Here is my opinion... each soul's spiritual journey is intensely intimate with the Divine.
First we are assigned teachers for the journey, and eventually there comes a time when we choose our teachers.
God provides our teachers through relationships, circumstance, and sometimes by coincidence.
So what's right for you, may not be right for me.
And, of course, what is right for me, may not work for you.
The intense relationship between each soul and the Divine is really not something to be defined in human terms.
In my opinion, we do a great deal of harm to others on their spiritual journey when we try to dictate to others without Divine inspiration.
My writing is not Divinely inspired... it is just the noise in my heart that is seeking a voice.
Please keep this in mind.

I am a human being... no more or no less.

I set a goal for my life when I was 19 years old.

I believe that my life's calling is to love and be loved.
In order to truly love, the way I want to love, I need to know Jesus.
Being a born and bred Catholic, I discovered very quickly after establishing this goal, that organized religion (in my case Catholicism) throws numerous barriers to learning and practicing unconditional love.

Really, even defining unconditional love for some of us Catholics is difficult because of all the head noise ingrained into us during our formative years of growing up Catholic.

Through many years of failure, stumblings, suffering, and once in a while an "AHA!" moment... I have been learning what unconditional love by learning what it is not.
And this is where my journey today will begin...
I know what is not of Jesus... I am pretty sure of that.
And so it begins...



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"I write because I can not ask these question from the leaders of my Catholic Church."

The fact that the leaders of the church-those who have over 1000 years of theological study to draw upon-either can not, or will not answer the tough questions is something I have always found to be very telling.